Ganesh Chathurthi is one of the biggest festivals celebrated by the Hindu community. It is believed worshipping Lord Ganesh will help one to overcome obstacles in life, bring prosperity, grant wishes, bestow favor, and help improve your wealth or job prospects. However it is important to worship him in the first place for him to work in your favour. Here are steps to pray to Hindu God Ganesh.
PREPARE YOURSELF TO WORSHIP LORD GANESHA
Educate yourself about Lord Ganesha.
Ganesha is widely worshipped by the Hindu community. Ganesha with an elephant head and human body. Ganesha is the son of Goddess Parvati and Lord Shiva.
- Ganesha is associated with prosperity, good fortune, and wisdom.
- It is believed his generosity will help improve their physical position in the world.
- Ganesha is the deity associated with removing obstacles in your life
Make sure you buy a photograph or a Clay idol of Lord Ganesha.
Bring yourself closer to him with a clay idol or photograph of Ganesha. This is the foremost step to get closer to him.
- Order one online with us.
- Make payment
Gather all material or items you’ll need to worship Ganesha.
Ganesha is very warmhearted and he has a soft corner for sweet treats, sweet-smelling scents, and more.
- Prepare sweet to offer Ganesha.
- Get some flowers or make some decorations with flowers for sweet-smelling fragrances.
- Call your friends and family to see if they want to join you or bring offerings to Ganesha.
Study the photo or idol of Lord Ganesha.
Take a little time to study Lord Ganesha to remember significant features like his trunk to small tattoos on his body and the ornate jewelry he wears. The goal here is that you’ll be able to create an image of him in your mind. Without creating his image in your mind, you will not be able to worship him from heart.
WORSHIPPING LORD GANESHA
Light your diya.
Diya is a brass oil lamp that might have the image of Ganesha on it. Many types of diyas are available in the market. Make sure you light your diya before you start your (puja) worship.
Offer ladoos, modaks, or other treats to Ganesha.
Offer various sweet treats like Ladoos and modaks. Offering these treats to Ganesha will help bring his generosity upon you. You can prepare these sweets or purchase them if available in your area.
- Modaks are sweet dumplings. They consist of rice flour, coconut, and cane sugar.
- Ladoos are treats made of sugar and flour.
- Ganesha is also a fan of bananas.
Cover your head with a dupatta or sari if you’re a woman.
Women must wear a scarf, dupatta, sari or stole to show your respect to Lord Ganesha. Covering their head will help bring his generosity upon them.
Put garland around the neck of the Lord Ganesha.
Putting garland around the neck of the Lord Ganesha will win more favor from Ganesha. Ganesha particularly likes garlands made of erukku flowers, a flower native to India.
Chant one of Ganesha’s mantras.
Chanting a mantra will help bring you closer to Ganesha as he will bestow his blessings upon you. As a result, repeating mantras will bring you closer to your goals in life. Consider:
- The Shaktivinayak Mantra. Chant: “Om Hreeng Green Heng.” This will help to soothe you and bring you closer to Ganesha.
- The Vakratunda Mahakaya Shlok Mantra. Chant “Vakra-Tunndda Maha-Kaaya Surya-Kotti Samaprabha Nirvighnam Kuru Me Deva Sarva-Kaaryeshu Sarvadaa.”
- Siddhi Vinayak Mantra. Chant “Om Namo Siddhi Vinayakaya Sarva Kaarya Kartrey Sarva Vignha Prashamnay Sarvarjaya Vashyakarnaya Sarvajan Sarvastree Purush Aakarshanaya Shreeng Om Swaha.”
- Several other mantras can be chanted as well.
Close your eyes and visualize the image of Lord Ganesha in your mind.
Visualizing him in your mind is the way you will create a direct connection with him.
- Relax and take a seat back.
- Take a deep breath.
- Meditate and think about the image of Lord Ganesha.
Talk to Lord Ganesha, once you’ve visualized him.
Now that you’ve visualized him in your mind, talk to him and share your problems, challenges, hopes, and more with him.
- Speak to him in his right ear.
- Feel the personal connection between you and Lord Ganesha.
Apply Sindoor to the idol, yourself, and to others in attendance.
Apply sindoor to Ganesha’s forehead. Offering Sindoor to Ganesha can help you in eradicating all your grief, pain, and suffering. Apply it to your own forehead, and to others who attend.
Offer “prasadam” to all attendees of Puja.
Prasadam are sweet treats that are offered to God. Once the puja is done, everyone will receive a prasadam.